AW: AW: New Dirty Bomb study

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Gerry Blackwood [mailto:gpblackwood@justice.com]

Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Jänner 2004 19:17

An: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

Cc: Clayton.Bradt@LABOR.STATE.NY.US; radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: AW: New Dirty Bomb study

Franz, maybe things as reported are really not what

they purported to be. It would not be the first time.

Back in 87 there were a flurry of reports on this

incident and one in Bogota. I am sure you have much

better sources than I do.

-------------------------

The sources for the Goiania accident are accessable for anybody. One of the

best sources - or rather the best source - is Jose Julio Rozental, who has

not only been the leading figure in the evaluation of this accident, but

also is a very frequent contributor to RADSAFE. Yes, I had the privilege to

meet him personally - but only many years after I met others who were

involved in the evaluation and I read scientific reports about it. The IAEA

has published reports not only on Goiania, but also on many other accidents

with radioactive material from abandoned sources - and, believe me, there is

such a lot, which does not make it to the mass media. For the mass media

only potential disasters are of interest in connection with "nuclear" or

"radioactivity", when real people are hurt or killed in accidents, no paper

is interested, no TV-shows are organized. I did not read, hear or see

anything on the Goiania accident in Austrian mass media. The same - or at

most a few lines on page 27 - is true for all other accidents, the fatal and

lethal ones included.

The IAEA is struggling for better protection of sources and offering help

with expertise to member states.

I do not know, where your "informations" come from, but as a rule you can be

sure, that mass media or statements of certain politicians are not reliable

sources on such topics. Neither are studies financied by state agencies,

political parties or movements, lobbies or interest groups which have an

interest on a certain outcome reliable. At least they have to be checked

very carefully.

Best regards,

Franz