Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

So, what do you propose?  Not having public meetings?

The requirement that attendants have a high school

education?  The requirement that certain documents be

read prior to attending the meetings?

I do not think many of the readers on this list are

anti-nuclear, and abhore the bias they possess.

However, what is the alternative?

--- Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> wrote:

> Jan. 12

> I am not using "fog"

> to defend anything.  (His posting is below.)

> 	Speaking specifically of TRU shipments to WIPP, the

> "issue" is that public

> safety has already been addressed 	a thousand times

> over and "reasonable

> actions" have been taken to assure public safety.

> The so-called "public"

> that shows up at these meetings is the same small

> band of radiophobes,

> pacifists, and anti-nukers whose "concerns" about

> WIPP can not be addressed

> except by shutting down the site and permanently

> cancelling the entire

> project.  Not only that, it would take another 20

> years -- or more -- to

> close down the salt mine where some wastes are

> already stored, because of

> all the demands the anti-nukers would make about a

> "safe" closure.

> 	I know -- either personally or by reputation --

> most of the anti-WIPP

> elements in Albuquerque.  It is impossible to get a

> straight answer out of

> any of them about anything pertaining to WIPP or

> radioactivity.  I know

> because I have tried.  They do not represent the

> public at large, they are

> an infinitesimally small group of well-organized

> busybodies with an

> enormous political agenda and a penchant for hauling

> the DOE into court.

> (One of them was bragging last night about how her

> group has a suit pending

> against the DOE.)  Their "concerns" are irrational

> and for that reason they

> do not count.  They also do not count because they

> have no basis in science.

> 	At that hearing last night an anti-WIPPer got up to

> the microphone and

> said the WIPP trucks traveling through Albuquerque

> are irradiating people

> on the highway who drive near the WIPP trucks.

> Alpha particles in TRUPACTs

> are irradiating other drivers??  Alpha particles

> can't penetrate a sheet of

> paper.  How in the name of Heaven are they going to

> get out of a TRUPACT??

> 	Do you really believe -- Bill -- that this is a

> rational concern?  Does

> "democracy" mean we have to make public policy

> decisions based on palpable

> falsehoods about radioactivity?  This irrational

> public you are so eager to

> listen to would like to shut down every power

> reactor in the country.  Are

> you going to 'take your chances' with that too?

. . .

=====

"I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist