Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

Rather than a vast conspiracy, on the level of the

Luminate, the Masons, etc., I would say that there are

small groups of concerned people around nuclear

facilities, government labs, etc., who have read, seen

movies, heard news reports, about radiation "risk."

(I have always liked the movie about the giant ants.)

It is also important to remember there is a strong

anit-government feeling that results from the Viet Nam

war and the Nixon years.  Some one (ex-hippy

protestor) decides the government or utility is or can

harm them, and will lie about it.  It is also easy to

learn about what other groups have done, since there

are always news storys about their protests.  And the

ball starts rolling for another groups to organize,

get media coverage and influence the local politicians

to take action.  (If you have every had children, you

know that the noisiest, most demanding one gets the

most attention.

I think the conspiracy lies in their common tactics,

e.g., news releases, public meetings, etc., and there

is a small group of "experts" who have similar

believes about the "risks" or enjoy the attention.

I think showmanship is their real tool and source of

power.  Without publicity, they have no power to

influence, if they do, the rest of the public.

--- William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> wrote:

> My reply to Barbara also applies, here.  You also

> seem to see some vast conspiracy.

> If, as you stated, "... The so-called 'public'

> that shows up at these meetings is the same small

> band of radiophobes,

> pacifists, and anti-nukers..." they'll make a lot of

> noise, go home feeling important,

> and that's it.  Constantly disputing them point by

> point only validates their

> arguments in the mind of the public, and encourages

> them to continue.  Notice that, in

> political campaigns, incumbants generally try to

> avoid debating their opponents, since

> that increases their stature. Their opponents can

> say anything they want to an empty

> chair, but it isn't as credible.

. . .

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist