OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

John Jacobus wrote:

"And when was the last (or first) time OSHA inspected a

hospital?  We had an overexposure at our cyclotron

facility, and OSHA did not respond even when we

contacted them.  We are a federal agency, and do not

come under state regulations.  I assume a state agency

would have been interested."

We had a near electrocution at a cyclotron facility not too long ago.  OSHA

investigated that incident, but radiation exposure wasn't an issue.  OSHA

has very few people with any radiation background.  This of course does not

prevent them from claiming that they regulate in the area of radiation

hazards from x-ray and non-AEA materials.  They want the turf but won't

invest in the personnel to do the job.

With regard to the electrocution incident: We have had a running battle with

local code enforcement people in some municipalities who insist on requiring

posting on the outside of all buildings where radioactive materials are

stored/used - regardless of the form or quantities.  (For the protection of

first responders, they claim.)  The cyclotron facility was located in one

such municipality, and had a radiation sign on the outside of the building.

When the EMTs arrived, they at first refused to enter because of the sign.

Meanwhile the victim was unconscious on the floor and the pharmacist was

yelling and cursing at the EMTs to get them to come in to treat him.  They

finally overcame their radiophobia and the individual was transported to

hospital.  The victim recovered but had some severe burns.  Here again we

have an agency (code enforcement this time) guarding turf in an area in

which they have no expertise.  This time with near fatal consequences.

I'm sure there is a lesson here for all of us......but I at the moment I

just can't think of what it is.

Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Labor