Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

"Does "democracy" mean we have to make public policy

decisions based on palpable falsehoods about

radioactivity?"

Public policy is based on public perceptions and who

can scream louder with the bigger wallet. Not on any

sound basis in fact or majority rule. I personally

believe that the WIPP issues are going no where, and I

am really not up to speed on all the issues. But I

believe that the government is boxed in and the options

are very few and far between at this point. So the

anti-crowd can crow all it wants. If the USG stamps it

a national security issue we can all crow all we want

then. Fighting the anti-crowd head on is in my humble

opinion a waste of time and can cause high blood

pressure. You take these guys on using back door

politics, a check book and a real good lobbyists with

sound facts. It does more damage and the risks of mind

meltdown are lessened.

Just my 2 cents.

Gerry Blackwood

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:19:26 -0800 (PST), John Jacobus

wrote:

> [...]

> > to defend anything.  (His posting is below.)

> > 	Speaking specifically of TRU shipments to WIPP, the

> > "issue" is that public

> > safety has already been addressed 	a thousand times

> > over and "reasonable

> > actions" have been taken to assure public safety.

> > The so-called "public"

> > that shows up at these meetings is the same small

> > band of radiophobes,

> > pacifists, and anti-nukers whose "concerns" about

> > WIPP can not be addressed

> > except by shutting down the site and permanently

> > cancelling the entire

> > project.  Not only that, it would take another 20

> > years -- or more -- to

> > close down the salt mine where some wastes are

> > already stored, because of

> > all the demands the anti-nukers would make about a

> > "safe" closure.

> > 	I know -- either personally or by reputation --

> > most of the anti-WIPP

> > elements in Albuquerque.  It is impossible to get a

> > straight answer out of

> > any of them about anything pertaining to WIPP or

> > radioactivity.  I know

> > because I have tried.  They do not represent the

> > public at large, they are

> > an infinitesimally small group of well-organized

> > busybodies with an

> > enormous political agenda and a penchant for hauling

> > the DOE into court.

> > (One of them was bragging last night about how her

> > group has a suit pending

> > against the DOE.)  Their "concerns" are irrational

> > and for that reason they

> > do not count.  They also do not count because they

> > have no basis in science.

> > 	At that hearing last night an anti-WIPPer got up to

> > the microphone and

> > said the WIPP trucks traveling through Albuquerque

> > are irradiating people

> > on the highway who drive near the WIPP trucks.

> > Alpha particles in TRUPACTs

> > are irradiating other drivers??  Alpha particles

> > can't penetrate a sheet of

> > paper.  How in the name of Heaven are they going to

> > get out of a TRUPACT??

> > 	Do you really believe -- Bill -- that this is a

> > rational concern?  Does

> > "democracy" mean we have to make public policy

> > decisions based on palpable

> > falsehoods about radioactivity?  This irrational

> > public you are so eager to

> > listen to would like to shut down every power

> > reactor in the country.  Are

> > you going to 'take your chances' with that too?

> . . .

> =====

> +++++++++++++++++++

> "I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility

> against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

> Thomas Jefferson

> -- John

> John Jacobus, MS

> Certified Health Physicist

> e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

body

> of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

archives

http://mail.Justice.com