Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

At 08:00 AM 1/14/2004 -0500, William V Lipton wrote:

>For better or worse, whether something is "safe" is an opinion.  I doubt that

>you're saying that the probability of a serious incident with one of these

>shipments is zero.   Then, the level of safety that is acceptable is a

>judgment

>call, like it or not.

I think this discussion is pretty pointless. when it gets down to semantics.

I think the concept that most of the posters to this thread are trying to

get across is one of relative risk.

And the news today of a tanker truck dropping off an overpass and causing

multiple deaths and extended disruption should emphasize the statements

made earlier in the discussion highlighting this "concept"

So, maybe we can all agree to get along and agree that there are lots of

much more dangerous things freely roaming the highways than highly

controlled shipments of radioactive waste.

As for the comment that there are plenty of controls on other hazardous

goods out there by DOT, this is totally irrelevant. Governmental "controls"

rely on two elements: (1) compliance and (2) enforcement.

As is demonstrated on a daily basis, there are weaknesses in both elements

in general transportation, including hazmat transportation. Remember: an

18-wheeler is instantly dangerous when it goes out of control, no matter

its cargo!

I would venture to guess that the trucks involved the WIPP have been pretty

carefully vetted for basic things like brakes, steering and tires. And that

the drivers are following the full requirements of NRC and DOT. Recent

enforcement efforts around Houston have uncovered a rather large percentage

of 18-wheelers with basic hazardous conditions: inadequate brakes and/or

tires, steering defects or poorly secured loads.. Never mind drivers hopped

up on amphetamines......

So the relative risk of a catastrophic event from general cargo

transportation far outweighs that of WIPP shipments. And this is the

message that need to be got across.

Doug

Doug Aitken		Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):   	281 285-8009

Phone (Home office): 	713 797-0919

Phone (Cell): 		713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

	Sugar Land, TX 77478