Re: OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

When was the last time OSHA inspected anything prior to

it going boom? Heck I didn't even know OSHA had any

teeth anymore. Last I heard this administration removed

their dentures ....Gerry

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:03:02 -0500, "Bradt, Clayton"

wrote:

> John Jacobus wrote:

> "And when was the last (or first) time OSHA inspected

> hospital?  We had an overexposure at our cyclotron

> facility, and OSHA did not respond even when we

> contacted them.  We are a federal agency, and do not

> come under state regulations.  I assume a state agency

> would have been interested."

> We had a near electrocution at a cyclotron facility

not

> too long ago.  OSHA

> investigated that incident, but radiation exposure

> wasn't an issue.  OSHA

> has very few people with any radiation background.

> This of course does not

> prevent them from claiming that they regulate in the

> area of radiation

> hazards from x-ray and non-AEA materials.  They want

> the turf but won't

> invest in the personnel to do the job.

> With regard to the electrocution incident: We have had

> a running battle with

> local code enforcement people in some municipalities

> who insist on requiring

> posting on the outside of all buildings where

> radioactive materials are

> stored/used - regardless of the form or quantities.

> (For the protection of

> first responders, they claim.)  The cyclotron facility

> was located in one

> such municipality, and had a radiation sign on the

> outside of the building.

> When the EMTs arrived, they at first refused to enter

> because of the sign.

> Meanwhile the victim was unconscious on the floor and

> the pharmacist was

> yelling and cursing at the EMTs to get them to come in

> to treat him.  They

> finally overcame their radiophobia and the individual

> was transported to

> hospital.  The victim recovered but had some severe

> burns.  Here again we

> have an agency (code enforcement this time) guarding

> turf in an area in

> which they have no expertise.  This time with near

> fatal consequences.

> I'm sure there is a lesson here for all of us......but

> I at the moment I

> just can't think of what it is.

> Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

> Principal Radiophysicist

> NYS Dept. of Labor

> Radiological Health Unit

> voice: (518) 457-1202

> fax:    (518) 485-7406

> e-mail: Clayton.Bradt@labor.state.ny.us

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

body

> of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

archives

http://mail.Justice.com