RE: OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

All NYS Labor Dept. licensees are required to notify the local police and

fire departments of the presence of rad material at their facility, and

inform them of any special emergency procedures, contact information, etc.

as necessary.  There is even a special hazardous materials report form that

must be submitted to the fire department as well.  It is up to the local

responding agencies to make use of the information they are given to plan

their response to these facilities. This is where the breakdown occurs.

They take the information and file it (maybe) and never follow up on it.  If

the EMTs who responded to the electrocution incident had just read the

Emergency Response Guidebook, they would have known there was no reason to

balk at entering this facility.  But even that level of training was

lacking.

Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Labor