Fwd: Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

Hi, John,

I've been following this discussion with interest and I must say that I would

feel much better if I were told the following. I believe this better presents

all the facts as we know it than just using NCRP 116.

"The conservative, worst-case assessment of risk for these CT scans, based on

NCRP 116 is that your risk of dying from cancer will increase from 25% to

25.15% (or whatever based on number of REMs (3?) received), however there is

also evidence that the projections contained in NCRP 116 overstate the risk of

increased cancer.

"Studies of people who live in areas with higher background radiation (incluing

Denver and the mountain regions above Denver) do not seem to support the

extrapolation embodied in NCRP 116, and some researchers suggest that low-level

radiation might actually be beneficial.

"Therefore, based on the conservative government-required calculation, your

worst-case risk is the increase from 25% to 25.15%. However, since this

calculation is based on assumptions that are extremely conservative, this

increase is an upper limit, a regulatory convenience.

"Informed professionals disagree on what the level of risk is, but all agree

that it is not worse than this number. Some think that the amount of radiation

you have received could even be beneficial."

I think this kind of education is important and what Barbara and Ruth are

talking about.

Cheers,

Richard

--