Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

"So, maybe we can all agree to get along and agree that

there are lots of much more dangerous things freely

roaming the highways than highly controlled shipments

of radioactive waste."

Let's not talk about the rail roads.....

Gerry

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:56:04 -0600, Doug Aitken wrote:

> At 08:00 AM 1/14/2004 -0500, William V Lipton wrote:

> >For better or worse, whether something is "safe" is

an

> opinion.  I doubt that

> >you're saying that the probability of a serious

> incident with one of these

> >shipments is zero.   Then, the level of safety that

is

> acceptable is a

> >judgment

> >call, like it or not.

> I think this discussion is pretty pointless. when it

> gets down to semantics.

> I think the concept that most of the posters to this

> thread are trying to

> get across is one of relative risk.

> And the news today of a tanker truck dropping off an

> overpass and causing

> multiple deaths and extended disruption should

> emphasize the statements

> made earlier in the discussion highlighting this

> "concept"

> So, maybe we can all agree to get along and agree that

> there are lots of

> much more dangerous things freely roaming the highways

> than highly

> controlled shipments of radioactive waste.

> As for the comment that there are plenty of controls

on

> other hazardous

> goods out there by DOT, this is totally irrelevant.

> Governmental "controls"

> rely on two elements: (1) compliance and (2)

> enforcement.

> As is demonstrated on a daily basis, there are

> weaknesses in both elements

> in general transportation, including hazmat

> transportation. Remember: an

> 18-wheeler is instantly dangerous when it goes out of

> control, no matter

> its cargo!

> I would venture to guess that the trucks involved the

> WIPP have been pretty

> carefully vetted for basic things like brakes,

steering

> and tires. And that

> the drivers are following the full requirements of NRC

> and DOT. Recent

> enforcement efforts around Houston have uncovered a

> rather large percentage

> of 18-wheelers with basic hazardous conditions:

> inadequate brakes and/or

> tires, steering defects or poorly secured loads..

Never

daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

> Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

> 	Sugar Land, TX 77478

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

body

> of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

archives

http://mail.Justice.com