RE: OSHA & Radiation (was: Badges for surgery)

And where can one such training?  Try

http://www.orau.gov/reacts/courses.htm

--- "Graben, Tena A."

<TAGraben@nuclearfuelservices.com> wrote:

> The bottom line is TRAINING.  The local hospitals,

> fire departments, ambulance services, and the local

> law enforcement agencies that provide mutual aide to

> the nuclear facility must be properly trained.  Most

> are given 24-hour, technician level HAZMAT 1910.120

> training.  But have you ever sat in on the class to

> see what is being taught?  I did and was amazed, and

> appalled, when it came time for the radiological

> portion of the training.  The class was two, 12-hour

> days, taught at the nearby university.  The

> instructor held a PhD in some sort of safety

> discipline.  The company I worked for at the time

> sunk quite a bit of money into the university each

> year in order to support this class.

> The class consisted of several of my company's plant

> employees and various local fire department and EMT

> personnel.  Of the 24 hours spent in the classroom,

> only 15 minutes was spent on radiological accidents.

>  The instructor touched lightly on the five primary

> types of radiation (all he did was name them) and

> pretty much said that entry would not be made into

> the area (hot zone) until the incident commander had

> determined that the radiation had gone away.  Then

> he stated that the bottom line was to just stay away

> from the area.  At that time a student, an EMT,

> stated "I'm not letting them in my ambulance. They

> might crape it up and my ambulance is too

> expensive."  The instructor replied, "very good.

> That's the right thing to do."  Needless to say, I

> stopped the class and had a little talk with them.

> The incident showed that 'proper' training is the

> key and it must be reinforced routinely.  The

> nuclear facility must actively seek the mutual aide

> agencies out and offer (and provide) the training -

> at the facility's expense.  Not only does it give

> the agencies the training they need, it ensures they

> receive the correct information.  Not some guy

> telling them all the wrong things.

. . .

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist