Re: I-125 Seeds

Linda -

The seeds are intended to reside permanently in the prostate gland.  Thus,

in theory, only the physical half-life is operating.  It is my

understanding however, that occasionally one or more of the roughly 100

seeds may migrate out of the prostate, and wind up elsewhere in the body,

or be excreted.  (From the reading I have done, it is my understanding that

there are no adverse effects from such migration.)  So in this case there

would be, in effect, a "biological half-time", but it would be

unpredictable and negligible compared to the activity from the rest of the

seeds.

Yours for early detection (guys - get your PSA tests!!!!  . . .)

Gary Mansfield

Radiation Safety Section

Hazards Control Department

LLNL

(The wild speculation expressed above does not represent the opinion of my

employer or the agencies that pay my employer to pay me.)