Re: I-125 Seeds

The seeds occassionally wind up in the lungs.  The

other possibility is that they are excreted in the

urine which usually occurs in the first few days after

implantation.

Both of these events are rare.

--- Gary Mansfield <mansfield2@llnl.gov> wrote:

> Linda -

> The seeds are intended to reside permanently in the

> prostate gland.  Thus,

> in theory, only the physical half-life is operating.

>  It is my

> understanding however, that occasionally one or more

> of the roughly 100

> seeds may migrate out of the prostate, and wind up

> elsewhere in the body,

> or be excreted.  (From the reading I have done, it

> is my understanding that

> there are no adverse effects from such migration.)

> So in this case there

> would be, in effect, a "biological half-time", but

> it would be

> unpredictable and negligible compared to the

> activity from the rest of the

> seeds.

> Yours for early detection (guys - get your PSA

> tests!!!!  . . .)

> Gary Mansfield

> Radiation Safety Section

> Hazards Control Department

> LLNL

> (The wild speculation expressed above does not

> represent the opinion of my

> employer or the agencies that pay my employer to pay

> me.)

> At 11:58 AM 1/14/2004 -0800, you wrote:

> Hi All,

> I searched the archives for an answer to my question

> with no success, so

> here goes.  What is the typical effective half life

> for I-125 seeds used to

> treat prostate cancer?  Are they governed by the

> physical half life or is

> there biological removal involved?

> Thanks,

> Linda

>  > Linda Sewell, CHP

>  > Dosimetry Supervisor

>  > Diablo Canyon Power Plant

>  > MS 119/1/122

>  > PO Box 56

>  > Avila Beach, CA 93424

>  > 805.545.4315 (voice)

>  > 805.545.2618 (fax)

>  > mailto:lms1@pge.com

> >"RADSAFE (radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu)"

> <radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu>

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist