Re: Study Raises Projection For 'Dirty Bomb' Toll

I think one should also ask the question "do all

sources pose the same risk?"  There are, according to

Commissioner Dicus,  about 200 sources reported lost

every year.  Last year we lost a 100 microcurie Co-60

marker source used in nuclear medicine.  Should

security of this item be as rigorous (translates to

money) as a radiography source?  As noted only 5

sources in the last 14 years have posed a significant

risk to the public.

I agree that some groups need to have better control,

but all things are not equal.

--- Tom <tom@xrfcorp.com> wrote:

> I have to agree with Jose.  According to EPA there

> are thousands of

> orphan sources right here in the good old USA.  I

> would venture to say

> that that number of sources missing says something

> about controls in the

> USA needing to be improved.

> Tom Hazlett

> joseroze@netvision.net.il wrote:

>  >Please, consider:

>  >a) poor control in Brazil

>  >b) poor control by user

>  >

>  >In the First case we can consider general context,

> and this is not

> correct.

>  >

>  >Poor control by user you can find anywhere in many

> developed countries,

>  >including USA

>  >

>  >AN OVERVIEW OF MANAGING THE U.S. RADIATION

> PROTECTION PROGRAM CONCERNING

>  >GENERALLY-LICENSED SOURCES AND DEVICES

>  >Commissioner Greta Joy Dicus, U.S. Nuclear

> Regulatory Commission

>  >Washington, D.C. 20555

>  >Keynote Presentation at the

>  >10th Annual International Radiation Protection

> Association Conference

>  >May 15, 2000

>  >Hiroshima, Japan

>  >

>  >...............

>  >"U.S. operational experience with radioactive

> materials includes few

>  >accidents with generally-licensed devices, and

> only five have resulted in

>  >potential radiation overexposures to the general

> public since 1989.

> The U.S.

>  >metal recycling industry has been particularly

> affected by losses and

> thefts

>  >of radioactive sources, some of which were

> generally-licensed and have

>  >subsequently become mixed with metal scrap

> destined for recycling."

>  >

>  >"For a smelting event involving a large radiation

> source (believed to

> not be

>  >a generally licensed device) one U.S. steel mills

> incurred an average cost

>  >of approximately US$ ten million, while yet in

> another case the cost

>  >approached US$ 23 million."

>  >

>  >"Lost, stolen, and abandoned generally-licensed

> sources or devices

> appearing

>  >in recycled metals constitute a worldwide problem.

> Thirty other smelting

>  >events have been reported in at least eighteen

> other countries (1). Others

>  >may have occurred but have not come to our

> attention or cannot be

>  >confirmed."

>  >

>  >

>  >USA PERSPECTIVES

>  >SAFETY & SECURITY OF RADIOACTIVE SOURCES

>  >BY GRETA JOY DICUS

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist