Re: Eco-extremism

In a message dated 1/19/2004 9:47:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, Bill Prestwich <prestwic@mcmaster.ca> writes:

>In general, I have always been wary about parallels between chemical or biological agents and radiation. The belief of the mystics to the contrary, "man-made" radiation and "natural" radiation is of course identical, because of its primitive fundamental nature. This is in sharp

>contrast to the situation with macromolecules, where a slight alteration in configuration may produce profoundly different behaviour. I believe it is claimed that 90% of the pesticides to which mankind is exposed are naturally produced. However in this instance, unlike the situation

>with radiation, it is not necessarily possible to thereby dismiss the potential hazards of introducing man-made pesticides, since it is probably impossible to synthesize the entire spectrum. As regards fish farms, a major concern is the introduction of anti-biotics in the feed. This

>apparently is resulting in the evolution of new disease strains with which the wild fish are unable to cope.

>Sincerely,

>Bill Prestwich

I would like to point out several things:

1.  All "natural" pesticides and chemical compounds are not harmless.  Rotenone is a commonly used pesticide, nicotine and other compounds in tobacco are far from harmless, and I eradicate the deadly nightshade in my back yard.  Chocolate can poison my cat.  Gibberelins are produced naturally and are the basis for 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T.  "Natural is good, artificial (or anthropogenic) is bad." is a spurious distinction.

2.  Sometimes a small change in molecular structure will cause a big change in properties, sometimes it won't.  Estrogens have the same basic steroid structure, but different estrogen's have different moieties attached at various points to the the ring structure.  Their behavior is quite similar.  On the other hand left-hand and right-hand sugars are metabolized differently, and the only difference between them is the molecular orientation.

3.  A major problem with fish and seafood is that aquatic species concentrate mercury and arsenic, not "antibiotics in the feed."

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com

505-856-5011