Re: Radiation Hormesis

To say this is a controversial issue is an

understatement.  I have, off-and-on, collected several

articles on the topic.  It is an intriguing subject,

but how should it affect radiation safety policy?

Currently, it does not.

I am not at the office today, by will provide a list

tomorrow.  I think one should make up one's own mind.

We all have our biases.

--- Karl Ellison <ellison1@localnet.com> wrote:

> I'm very curious of list member's opinions on

> radiation Hormesis. Most RT(R)

> professionals I talk to either roll their eyes and

> dismiss it as 'just a

> theory', or it's a new vocabulary word for them.

> Dr. Petr Beckmann of "Access To Energy"

> (http://www.accesstoenergy.com/; a

> pro-science / pro-technology newsletter he authored

> until his death), gave

> compelling evidence for the beneficial effects of

> low-level radiation on

> longevity and health.  There are numerous other

> website references to studies

> that also espouse positive bio-benefits.

> Does anyone have an opinion of this theory? What

> role, if any does the theory

> play in exposure mitigation - in policy making or

> otherwise - none whatsoever

> (I assume)?  What's the current thinking given the

> scientific evidence gathered

> to-date?

. . .

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist