Re: question on M. Brucer's P-32 vignette

Dr. Marcus,

My feeling is that the NRC is trying to be more

responsive to the licensees.  They are increasing

staff who have experience in medical issues.  However,

it is a slow process as bureaucracies, like the

TITANIC do not change direction quickly.  I think that

part of the problem is the NRC needs to recognize that

patients, while a subset of the general population,

have their well being and safety monitored by their

physicians, not regulators.

As for the "old guard" at the NRC, bureaucrates leave

by death, retirement, promotion (to hopefully less

influential positions) or revolution (see French

Revolution).

--- Carol Marcus <csmarcus@ucla.edu> wrote:

> At 08:17 PM 1/18/2004, Jaro wrote:

> >What I would like to know is whether P-32 therapy

> is still unavailable in

> >the US,

> Dear Jaro and Radsafers:

> P-32 therapy has always been available in the U.S.

> The NRC tried at one

> point to forbid it for FDA-unapproved indications,

> but the nuclear medicine

> community, with the help of the head of the NRC

> Medical Program and the

> FDA, prevailed.  This was one of the situations that

> led to NRC's

> "Radiopharmacy Rule", in which NRC stopped trying to

> tell nuclear

> physicians and nuclear pharmacists what drugs they

> could or couldn't use,

> which indications could be treated with which drugs,

> and how drugs should

> be prepared.

> While there is still a contingent of vicious

> bureaucrats at NRC who keep

> trying to undercut the Radiopharmacy Rule with

> specific license conditions

> that take away the value of the rule, so far we have

> stopped them.  Maybe

> one day the Commissioners will wise up and get rid

> of these people,

> although I doubt that they have the administrative

> competence to do so.

> Ciao, Carol

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist