RE: Radiation Hormesis

Karl (and others),

We had and interesting laboratory experiment in Radiation Biology when I

was in college where we irradiated bean seeds, fruit flies, and onion

root with low, med, and high doses from a Co-60 source from a local

hospital.  To show the effects of hormesis, no effect, and ill effect

the students all received seeds from each exposed group plus seeds that

did not get any extra dose (controls). We planted the seeds in cups at

our home, gave all plants the same amount of water and noted the

differences.  The seeds with the low doses had more vigorous growth,

smaller internodal lengths, and healthier leaves than the control. The

higher dose plants had brown shriveled leaves, stunted growth, and other

undesirable characteristics. We made a plot showing that as the dose

initially increased we saw a net positive effect (hormesis) but as the

dose continued to increase, a negative effect became apparent.  This

made a lasting impression and I have believed in hormesis ever since.  I

know people are not bean plants or fruit flies but this little

experiment gave the hormesis theory more believability than the LNT in

my mind.

As for the fruit flies I don't remember the low dose effects.  What

stands out in my memory were the horrific mutations in the offspring of

the high dose flies.

The onion root tips were used so we could see the chromosome damage in

the cells undergoing meiosis.

See http://www.belleonline.com/n2v82.html RADIATION HORMESIS: ITS

HISTORICAL FOUNDATIONS AS A BIOLOGICAL HYPOTHESIS by Edward J. Calabrese

and Linda A. Baldwin for a good discussion on Hormesis.

Carl Speer

Real-Time Radiological Services, Inc.

2721 Losee Rd, Suite E

North Las Vegas, NV 89030