Re: Radiation Hormesis

I have always wondered how one could distinguish hormesis effects from ordinary good health.  An example: small amounts of ionizing radiation are supposed to stimulate bone knitting after a break (I read this somewhere). However, the rates of bone recovery vary.  Has there beenn a controlled study of this phenomenon?  After my latest hip surgery, my doctor predicted that incorporation of the bone graft would take two years.  It took six months.  I was taking a drug that enhances calcium metabolism and I had quite a few xrays and I get a lot of exercise, so was it the drug, the x-ray, the exercise, two of those, or all three?  Are there  definitive studies showing hormesis?

I am perfectly ready to accept hormesis, but in the current radiophobic climate, I believe we are better off just claiming no harm at less than a particular dose.  Hormesis is one of those phenomena that even if it is real, doesn't SOUND real.

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com

505-856-5011