Hospital/Emergency Responder response to rad hazards

Mike,

I was involved in making a video: "Radiological Terrorism for Healthcare",

produced by Medfilms, Inc. of Tuscon AZ.  It's a 13 minute video, and

geared towards most hospital workers.  One of my major concerns was (and

is) that emergency personnel will be overly concerned with contamination

and exposure concerns to the point of patient harm.  This has been

demonstrated in many exercises.

The video has been very well received, and continues to gather praise.  One

recurring concern is that we (Dr. Fred Mettler and I) minimize the

potential harm from radioactive contamination and radiation exposure to

responders.

It's not in the video, but I'm still kicking around the idea that "if it's

still on your meter, your're safe to rescue viable victims".  It's unlikely

that anyone will be carrying a meter that indicates > 1000 R/hr, and even

at 1000 R/hr a few minute rescue is well within risks that responders are

routinely exposed to.   It's taken 5 minutes to get to the scene, if the

victim's still viable, a few minute rescue keeps it a rescue, and not a

recovery many 10s of minutes later.  Training and talking about LD/50 fixes

that thought, and that dose becomes the dose rate of death, even though a

rescue is unlikely to take an hour.  Of course, some rescues may be

lengthy, so at high dose rates it becomes that much more important to use

trained professional help in planning, but for a few minutes exposure that

rescues victims I don't see why that shouldn't be the training point.  The

first incident we see that results in people dying because responders were

held back (by training, confusion, authority, etc.) will upset many people,

and probably the responders the most.

(Quite obviously) my own opinions.

Brian Rees