RE: Hospital/Emergency Responder response to rad hazards

Mike, I could not agree more. Yes the experts have to

start agreeing on many radiation issues before they are

presented to first responders. My only question is,

what are we waiting for?

I also agree that the instructors need to spend quality

time with the field troops and get the lay of the land

before they start pumping them. Just because someone

has a Ph.D and an IQ of 175 does not mean that person

will effectively communicate or be accepted by first

responders in terms of understanding.

I am one who has been there before and understands what

you are trying to say. However, the rad community is

it's own worse enemy in this regard. Until "WE" start

pushing this agenda and get it moving we will be left

with monday morning quarterbacking when the event

occurs.

I have spoken to many first responders, some trained

and some not. Those that were trained agree that what

ever training they were given left them with more

questions than before they were trained. Those who were

not trained are even more confused and worried.

Lastly, just because a first responder is trained does

not mean there is adequate supervision over the

responder when an event does occur. Command and Control

is very much a key element here. If the first

responders have a "Science Officer" either paid or

advisory to guide them during an event many of the

issues of the who, what, where and when would be

simplified. DOE/FEMA/DHS should make sure that all

first responders have some form of "ON SCENE" science

advise as the mission unfolds. This should be pre-planned

and drilled until the responders are comfortable with

the operation.

We do none of this.

If any actually believes that we are any safer because

we have taken down Saddam, then you might as well

believe in the tooth fairy.

Gerry

http://mail.Justice.com