AW: Radiophobia wins again

Dear Bill,

Though I appreciate most of your contributions to RADSAFE, your scepticism

and the underlying moral considerations, I am sorry to say that I cannot

understand, nor support your reasoning concerning "opinion vs reality". I

personally have used traffic to compare risks and was heavily criticized.

But your comparison is not only unappropriate but simply wrong and actually

provides a very strong argument for legislation.

Like it or not, whether something is "safe" is a matter of opinion.  I

thought it was

safe to limit my speed to 45 mph in Friday's MI weather.  There were a lot

of drivers

out there who must have thought it's "safe" to drive a lot faster.

-------------------------------------

I agree that somebody might think that speeding is safe. I respect your

opinion that 45 mph might be safe. But the government is responsible for

enforcing a speed limit which is likely to reduce probability of damage by

crashes. If persons exceed these limits it is more than justified that they

are charged for speeding, if they cause crashes, injuries or even deaths

they are to be held liable - from money penalties to jail. So don't you

think that the question of safety is a matter which has to be revolved by

legislation?

We have all kind of people at RADSAFE - fortunately!!! - who cover the

spectrum from hormesis at - what I would call - high doses to extreme risks

from low-level radiation, which I put at microSv/y, most of the latter have

not dared to comment recently. The maximum of the Gaussian distribution

might be somewhere in between!

You forget that similar conditions might apply to speeding. They might apply

to bungee jumping. This is not only a case of risk, but it is a matter of

tourist attractions, private enterprise etc. It is a matter of

"Risk-Benefit" calculations.

I summarize, that your comparison is wrong and not acceptable. It is not up

to any individual to determine its own risk, but it is up to legislation to

minimize risks.

Finally, would you like to be involved in a car crash, where the opponent

would drive into your car at 85 mph, because he thought it would be safe,

killing you and your family? Come on, your comment cannot be meant serious!!

Franz