RE: Radiation Hormesis -- or not

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:17:20 -0800 (PST), John Jacobus wrote:

>Why would a genetic mutation favor a negative effect?

>After all, evolution shows that genetic effects are

>positive since they allow the organism to adapt.

>Primates did not get opposed thumbs by willing it to

>happen.  It was genetics.

Well - genetic mutation may be positive ... but think of a complex computer program, and a very stupid programmer.

He randomy changes or inserts (very) random code at random locations, and tries the program after each change ... there's a chance that the change

makes the program better, but in most cases the program goes booom. Next try. The principle of evolution.

I recommend a look at my other message about hormesis ...

Best regards

	Frank