Subject: RE: Radiophobia wins again

> 2 millirem/hr … sounds perfectly harmless to the average person.

> But report that same information in micro rem and, to the layperson,

> it would sound like death on a stick …

> … Unfortunately, we have no control over the manner in which it is

> disseminated to the public

I've noticed this phenomenon in consumer marketing, where we all know that

billions have been expensed to learn how to opportunistically exploit

ignorance, perceptions and sex..

A certain brand of aspirin contains 0.5g of useful product, but it's more

spectacular when the announcer says "two tablets give you a FULL *ONE THOUSAND*

MILLIGRAMS OF PAIN KILLING STRENGTH!". I should sell aspirin with doses

containing One Million micrograms of pain killer, perhaps I'll corner the

market!

A lab back at my university had an official-looking sign on a closet door

"Warning: 10,000,000 Ohms". You'll see many more examples of psychologically

bloated/minimized facts. And why not use this effect if you're going to sway

the public - it's very effective.

- Karl Ellison, Salem MA.