From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM]

Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 7:21 AM

To: Catherine Perham

Cc: 'radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu'

Subject: RE: Radiation Hormesis -- or not

Catherine

I would also say that not all negative mutations are

selected against survival.  There are a number of

genetic diseases that do not improve the species, e.g.

hemophilia, but are still present and are passed

along.  It escapes me what was the evolutionary or

genetic process that allowed it to exist in humans.

--- Catherine Perham <cperham@ehso.emory.edu> wrote:

> John;

> Genetic effects are completely random and as you

> mention cannot be "willed."

> We only see the positive genetic mutations such as

> opposable thumbs because

> all of the negative mutations were selected against-

> in other words, they

> died.  Random effects are very unlikely to be

> positive and that is why

> evolution takes so long.  Most mutations change a

> protein structure such as

> a hormone that may render it unusable to the

> organism.

> My theory on the relative strength of the seedlings

> in the experiment in

> question is that the radiation killed off various

> fungi and viruses that may

> have lived on the seeds, and not a favorable

> mutation within the seed

> itself.  After all, a dormant seed is not made up of

> actively dividing

> cells.

> Cheers;

> Catherine

=== message truncated ===

=====

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist