FW: Re[2]: FW: San Diego Union Article

Forward with permission from RSO DHS.

-m

-----Original Message-----

From: Whitman, Richard T [mailto:RICHARD.T.Whitman@dhs.gov]

Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:51 AM

To: MARIO.D.MUDEK@saic.com

Subject: Re[2]: FW: San Diego Union Article

            Another indication of how much the public depends on good

            Health Physics work - Look at this as job security.  Sometimes

it

            would help if we could get past explaining basics to the media.

            Rick Whitman

            Radiation Safety Officer

            Customs and Border Protection

            Department of Homeland Security

            (317) 614-4843

              RADSAFERS,

              I was dismayed when reading the  front page of the San

              Diego Union

              today.  On the front page is an article  "Detectors for

              'dirty

              bombs' set of by range of sources".  The article says

              "the detector

              sounded because someone present had just had an X-ray

              that left a

              residue of radiation.  You can find both the front page:

              http://subscribers.uniontrib.com/daily.pdf and the rest

              of the

              article:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/.  The article

              is SO full of

              inadequacies that I'm not sure how to address it in a

              "letter to the

              editor"...

              Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)

              SSC-SD.