Re: 28 Days Later

At 06:43 AM 2/2/2004 -0600, Stabin, Michael wrote:

>Just rented "28 Days Later" over the weekend. Sure got a kick out of the

>scene where they are scavenging abandoned grocery stores for salvageable

>food, and they find the quite edible apples, and the character says

>"mmm...irradiated." I guess both PETA and the anti nukes won't like this

>movie.

I think this is an excellent example of how "semi-subliminal" messages can

be transmitted to Joe Public. In this case, (luckily, and surprisingly,

given that it is a British independent movie) the message was a positive

one. And the effect of this message, if repeated often enough in this type

of context (rather than an "authority figure" who would turn off anyone of

an anti-establishment bent), is that the negative impression the public has

of irradiated food would diminish....

If only a few more movie producers and directors would collaborate on the

transmission of "real science" rather than junk scare mongering, we would

be better off!

Kudos to Danny Boyle.

PS: I preferred the "alternate" bleak endings without the "Saccharin pill"

fly-over (Hollywood style!).

Sure is nice to see a movie that makes you think, rather than just overload

the brain with pyrotechnics and leave you wondering why you wasted the time

afterwards...

Doug (European movie buff!)