RE: PET study for 30 wk pregnancy

I was away for a couple of days at the Health Physics Midyear meeting

and could not answer this good question. Yes, I do believe that F-18 FDG

crosses the placenta, and thus the doses that we calculated in 1997

(which, as John rightly notes only consider maternal source organ

contributions to fetal dose) should be superceded by the values below. I

have written a short note to the Journal of Nuclear Medicine on this

subject that has been accepted for publication, and should appear

shortly. The doses that I recommend are:

2.2E-2 mGy/MBq in early pregnancy, 2.2E-2 mGy/MBq at 3 months'

gestation, 1.7E-2 mGy/MBq at 6 months' gestation, and 1.7E-2 mGy/MBq at

9 months' gestation.

This is based on some conservative assumptions regarding the

observations in a recent article by Benveniste et al. (Maternal-Fetal In

Vivo Imaging: A Combined PET and MRI Study. J Nucl Med 2003; 44:

1522-1530). I would be happy to provide more details on request, or you

can watch the JNM for publication of the full work.

BTW, my apologies to all for the transient server problems with my RADAR

site in recent days. I asked you all to review the draft AAPM/HPS fetal

standard (which does include these updated FDG numbers), but there have

been some undiagnosed problems with the site which I could not resolve

while away. I am pursuing this vigorously, and I hope to get it resolved

this morning.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068