  From: Raymond A Hoover

  To: jjcohen ; Redmond, Randy (RXQ) ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 2:29 PM

  Subject: Re: 15 or 25 mrem per year?

  Considering all the uncertainties in the calculations, it should not make a bit of difference.  Of course the folks at the EPA would then insist that conservative is better.

  Actually, I think on at least one occasion EPA has agreed to 25 mrem. On October 10, 2002, NRC News No 02-120 was released in which the NRC announced that that the NRC and EPA had reached an agreement in which the EPA agreed to defer exercise of authority under CERCLA Act for the majority of NRC facilities to be decomissioned.  This I have taken to mean that they are not going to argue with the NRC.  The copy of the MOU I have doesn't get specific on doses, so presumably the NRC number is the controlling one.  However, there is a table of permissible contamination levels for radionuclides in soil.  How the numbers were devied is not stated.

  jjcohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

    From a practical (health and safety) standpoint, what difference would it

    make whether a 15 or 25 mrem/yr limit is applied? Just curious------