  From: Barry E. Muller

  To: HP Dean

  Cc: William V Lipton ; jjcohen ; Redmond, Randy (RXQ) ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 5:55 AM

  Subject: Re: 15 or 25 mrem per year?

  While working at a DOE superfund site ten years ago the remedial investigation/feasibility studies dealt with both rad and hazardous (chemical) constituents of concern.  In fact, while working on the "source term" calculation for the industrial CERCLA/RCRA Unit we considered both radiological and chemical contaminants to determine the proportion of materials that could be free released, those that were radiologically contaminated only, RCRA hazardous only, and mixed waste.  The calculations required the melding of two Oracle databases (engineering and environmental) and took about 12 hours to run on the VAXes of that era.

  bem

  HP Dean wrote:

    Bill,

    > Note:  Keep in mind that the NRC limit includes all pathways, while the

    EPA

    > limit is pathway specific.

    Since the NRC limits only deal with radioactive materials, it begs the

    question as to whether or not the EPA risk assessment ignore chemicals as

    well when they are dealing with radioactive materials, or is some total site

    risk calculated?

    Since many site involve both toxic and radioactive materials, maybe someone

    out there can comment on EPAs total site risk concept, if one exists.

    Dean Chaney, CHP