Counter Terrorism Operations Support at Nevada Test Site

Senator John Ensign News Release

Monday, February 2, 2004

Nevada Delegation Applauds Award of $13 Million

Homeland Security Grant for Training at Nevada Test

Site

Funding Will Protect Against Dirty Bombs

WASHINGTON, DC -- Today, Senators Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and John Ensign

(R-Nev.), and

U.S. Representatives Jim Gibbons (R-Nev.), Shelley Berkley (D-Nev.), and Jon

Porter (R-Nev.)

applauded the award of a $13 million Homeland Security Grant for training at

the Nevada Test

Site (NTS). NTS will receive the funds to build a replica of a U.S. land

border. The complex will

allow for crucial security training to prevent nuclear or radiological

materials, such as a dirty

bomb, from entering the country.

"The threat of a dirty bomb is an unfortunate and dangerous reality," stated

Gibbons. "I am

pleased that the unique capabilities of the Nevada Test Site will be

harnessed and expanded in an

effort to protect Americans from this threat."

"I view this as a perfect match for the unique capabilities of the Nevada

Test Site," Reid said.

"Nevada has a long history of contributing to the critical national security

needs of our country

and this Department of Homeland Security initiative continues this important

tradition."

"We live in a world in which we must be vigilant in protecting ourselves

from nuclear and

radiological threats," Ensign stated. "I commend Bechtel and the Nevada Test

Site for taking the

lead to keep our citizens safe. Nevadans can be proud of the work that will

be done in our state

on behalf of the security of this nation."

The Department of Homeland Security is teaming with the Nevada Test Site,

currently managed

and operated by Bechtel Nevada, to establish a radiological and nuclear

testing and evaluation

capability. The research conducted at NTS will result in development and

deployment of the next

generation of radiological detectors which will be used on our borders and

in our airports.

Specifically, the $13 million in funding is an initial investment for a $70

million complex that

will be comprised of seven testing venues. When completed, the complex will

be utilized to

validate radiation sensors, test radiation detection systems performance,

and train Homeland

Security's Customs and Transportation Security Administration.

"Given the Nevada Test Site's unique history, it is no surprise that it

would be chosen for the

development of systems to protect Las Vegas and other cities from the threat

of a dirty bomb or

nuclear weapon by detecting these materials before they ever arrive on

American soil," said

Berkley. "The Nevada Test Site remains one of the nation's premier locations

for developing and

testing new technology and this project will bring additional jobs and

economic development to

southern Nevada, while helping to safeguard the nation from nuclear and

radiological threats."

"The Nevada Test Site plays an important role in Nevada's economy as well as

critical research

and development for the safety and defense of our nation," said Porter.

"This opportunity offers

our state a unique opportunity in job creation and keeping our country

safe."

"We are delighted to be working with the Nevada Test Site in this important

effort." said Dr.

Charles McQueary, Under Secretary for Science and Technology, Department of

Homeland

Security. "The technologies created through this partnership will support

our efforts to protect

Americans from any potential terrorist activities involving radiological and

nuclear devices."

Erik C. Nielsen

Senior Scientist

Bechtel Nevada - Remote Sensing Laboratory

P.O. Box 98521, M/S RSL-24

Las Vegas, NV 89193

http://www.nv.doe.gov/programs/frmac/

<http://www.nv.doe.gov/programs/frmac/>

Office: (702) 295-8954

Cell:  (702) 630-2323

FAX: (702) 794-1038

Pager: (800) 759-8888  PIN: 1076227

Text to Pager:  1076227 at skytel.com

Text to Cell: 7026302323 at mobile.att.net

This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient.

Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be

privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the

intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this

communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this

message and then delete it from your system.