AW: Midyear talk

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Stabin, Michael

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2004 15:14

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Midyear talk

Gary also noted that there is exactly one country now in the world that

has not adopted ICRP 60 dose limits and methodolgy (as well as SI

units); we all know who that is. I call on my US colleagues to consider

turning in their AAA card (Absurd American Arrogance) and ending this

international embarrassment soon.

--------------------------------------

Mike, are you (and Gary) sure about this? My experience is probably

outdated, but after the Chernobyl accident the Sovjet authorities issued all

reports and information in Curies, mrem etc. (Like our Austrian authorities

did and I had to do, because this system was the legal one then and I had to

write the official report on the consequences of Chernobyl on Austria, using

those even then outdated units. The problems I had to compare with other

countries using SI units can be easily understood.) At least some years ago

Japan was still using officially the old units, though scientists used SI

units in their publications and presentations at conferences. Saudi-Arabia

used the USA-units. I would expect that quite a few other countries are

following USA-units and some kind of legislation valid in the USA.

I can only subscribe to your comment on AAA - not only regarding SI units!!!

Best regards,

Franz