DOE and commercial landfill proximity

Hello Radsafers:

I have a question..Does anyone out there know if there is another

Department of Energy waste facility that is bounded at the fenceline by two

commercial waste company landfills? I am curious because in Lewiston - Porter -

Youngstown, Niagara County, New York, the hhistoric Lake Ontario Ordnance

Works-Niagara Falls Storage Site (LOOW)-(DoE-NFSS) is bounded at the fence by

Modern Disposal/Recycling and Chemical Waste Management landfills. The former is

a solid muni-waste facility. The latter is the only open receptive hazardous

waste facility in the NE and contains many types of chemical wastes. The entire

area becomes saturated annually/seasonally (water table rises over

containment) with ground water and groundwater contaminants from the waste landfill have

likely migrated.

What are the hazards associated with the close proximity of chemical and

radiological wastes should they come into contact with one another?

Any information is appreciated, detail would be additionally welcomed.

Louis Ricciuti

Niagara Lewiston, NY