Re: [Know_Nukes] Errors in NRC TMI Factsheet

There are so many inaccuracies and unsubstantiated

allusions/claims/conspiracymongerings in this posting

from Norm that it almost seems pointless to bother

responding to it. But a few comments anyway:

1) no metal fumes were released from TMI. Only noble

gases and at most a trace amount of I-131 were released.

The I-131 remains debatable if any was actually released at

all. Hence, the claims of metallic tastings have no known

medical connection to the TMI accident.

2) the morning of the accident, the atmospheric stability

class at the site was that of a near inversion and the air

was as still as can be. If anything was released, particularly

particulates, they would not have been expected to travel

far enough to affect the public, even in nearly Royalton.

In fact, no radioactivity from TMI was found in any vegetation

or meat or on any roof, vehicle, street or other types of

surfaces outside the plant buildings.

3) Cancer morbidity/mortality attributable to radiation did not

go up around TMI in 1979, nor have they gone up since. Every

claim to the contrary has not stood the test of science or

the law.

4) Reports of hair loss, vomiting, and pet death, if true, likely

were the result of hysteria fanned by the news media and

anti-nuclear activists. Or opportunistic pet shop owners.

5) why this article now? Because the 25th anniversary

of the accident at TMI comes up this month? And since

it has been 25 years, once again, where are all the cancers?

Harrisburg, Middletown, Royalton, Hershey, and all of the

rest of Pennsylvania seem to be doing just fine.

I worked as a radiological engineer and radioanalyst at TMI

from 1982 through mid 1984. Many of the things cited in the

article posted here by Mr. Cohen do not square with the

facts of the situation as I came to know it, for what that's worth.

Steve Frey

In a message dated 3/7/2004 8:02:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,