Re: Thyroid radiation doses are much too high

I think the risk comes from secondary cancers from

other organs, not thyroid cancer.  If you give a

patient 30 mCi of I-131, the effective dose equivalent

is 1170 mrem.  See "Radiation Dose Estimates for I-131

Sodium Iodide" in

http://www.orau.gov/reacts/DOSETABLES.doc

It has not been demonstrated that an EDE of 1.2 rem in

a population causes excess cancers.  Is it possible

that a person with Graves' disease may have some

underlying, excess cancer risk?  I do not think this

has been shown in this subpopulation.  (My

mother-in-law, who died last year at 88 from

complications of a stroke and epileptic seizures, was

treated in the 1950s for Graves' diseasse.)

I think this is another one of those "what if" studies

involving extrapolations of numbers, i.e., what if xxx

patients received yyy doses and the risk is zzz . . .

Like you, I think the risk from untreated Graves'

disease is much greater than that of a projected

cancer risk.

Thanks for the insight.

--- Carol Marcus <csmarcus@ucla.edu> wrote:

> At 07:36 AM 3/7/2004, Fred Dawson wrote:

> >New Scientist reports 6 March that Thyroid

> radiation doses are much too high

> Dear Radsafers:

> I don't understand this thread at all, or maybe I'm

> missing

> something.  When Graves' disease is adequately

> treated with I-131 NaI, the

> thyroid gland is gone.  Burned away.  Otherwise, it

> is likely that the

> Graves' disease will recur.  You can't get cancer

> from tissue that is

> gone.  You can't get thyroid cancer from adequate

> treatment of Graves' disease.

> Years ago, a friend of mine who is a leading nuclear

> medicine physician was

> asked what he would do if his service administered

> 20 mCi I-131 NaI to the

> wrong patient.  He immediately quipped, "I'd give

> him another 20 mCi!"  The

> idea is to wipe out the gland so that there would be

> no possibility of

> thyroid cancer in the future. In any case, I-131 is

> very inefficient at

> causing thyroid cancer.  It appears to differ from

> external beam radiation

> in this respect.  I-131 induced thyroid cancer is

> 0.05 cases/year/million

> persons per rem for adults (Maxon HR, Thomas SR,

> Saenger EL, et al.: Amer.

> Jour. Med. 63:967-978, 1977).

> Soon after I-131 was introduced widely for treatment

> of hyperthyroidism

> (after WWII), concerns about radiation-induced

> cancer prompted a large

> study of patients treated for hyperthyroidism with

> I-131 vs. those treated

> with surgery.  The end point was of course not

> thyroid cancer, but

> leukemia.  There was no increase in leukemia in the

> group treated with

> I-131 vs. surgery.  (Thompkins E: Late effects of

> radioiodine therapy. AEC

> Symp 20, 431-440, 1970).

> A large Swedish study and an FDA study on American

> children given I-131 for

> diagnostic purposes failed to show any increase in

> thyroid cancer (these

> patients had thyroid tissue).

> Physicians who give calculated doses of I-131 for

> Graves' disease commonly

> have to give a second or a third dose to do the job.

>  Some (like me)

> "doctor up" the parameters for the "calculated

> dose".  Most patients who

> receive 29.9 mCi (the maximum for outpatient

> treatment determined by NRC's

> old scientifically unfounded "30 mCi rule") burn out

> their thyroids the

> first time.  It is because no one has ever

> scientifically credibly

> documented any deleterious effects from the large

> "one size fits all" doses

> of I-131 that there are still physicians on both

> sides of the issue.  I

> have used an initial large dose when it was

> important to get the patient

> hypothyroid as quickly as possible, and on synthroid

> [...]

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com