Dose Calibrator Linearity, A Historical Question

Group,

About 12 or 14 years ago and at least two revisions of part 35 ago, the

regulations wrt dose calibrator testing incorporated a publication, by

reference giving a procedure for doing linearity which among other things

specified a 30 hour reading, using the decay method of testing linearity, as

the base for calculations of variation.  That is the 30 hour reading, after

decay correction, was assumed to be correct and it was subtracted from all

the other readings and the result, divided by the decay corrected 30 hour

reading and multiplied by 100 to give the percent variation.

	Variation = [(R -R30) / R-30] * 100

Can anybody out there tell me what the publication was?  I am almost certain

it is neither NCRP 99, ANSI N42-13-1986, or NRC RG 10.8.  WRT RG 10.8, rev 2

was published in 1986 so is older than when I started being involved in

linearity and it does not say it.

I am pretty sure I didn't dream it because I had a conversation with an NRC

[almost certainly an inspector] about it and he told me incorporation by

reference was frowned upon by NRC management and this was one of the few

places it had been used.

Any help would be appreciated but please no editorial comments pro or con.

Any opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily

represent those of the Eastern Colorado VA Health Care System, The

Department of Veterans Affairs, or the United States Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, 1055

Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115; peter.vernig@med.va.gov;

personal peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext. 2447, FAX: 303.393-5026

Alternate fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is

pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be

excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus