RE: Thyroid radiation doses are much too high

At 02:22 AM 3/9/2004, Cheng Kit-man wrote:

>The optimal treatment is to suppress the function of the thyroid so that

>secretion of thyroid hormones returns to the normal levels.  The thyroid is

>still functional after the treatment and the patient does not need to rely

>on medication.

>However, present treatment regimes apply a standard I-131 dose irrespective

>of the level of hyperactivity and size of the thyroid.  In most situations,

>the thyroid function is over suppressed and the patient will rely on hormone

>supplements for the rest of the life.  The benefits are that the dose

>prescription is simplified, hospitals do not need to stock and dispense

>liquid I-131, the standard doses can be fabricated into tablets by mass

>production at a remote centralized radiopharmacy and workers exposure can be

>reduced.  The costs are that the patients are treated for hyperthyroidism to

>become hypothyroidism and the excess radiation dose may increase the risk of

>developing thyroid cancer later in life.

>Clement

This is medical nonsense.  First, the natural course of Graves' disease is

hypothyroidism due to intrinsic destruction of the thyroid from

inflammation, if the hyperthyroidism doesn't kill the patient first from

cardiac complications.  Second, it is definitely not desirable to leave any

thyroid tissue intact after surgery or radiation, as this tissue will often

grow and cause hyperthyroidism again.  An appropriate "calculated dose" is

a dose necessary to kill the gland, not part of it.  Third, the

nonradioactive drugs used to suppress thyroid function are dangerous, and

can cause permanent kidney destruction, bone marrow suppression, and

occasional death.  A hefty dose of NaI-131 to burn out the entire thyroid

gland is the goal of appropriate medical treatment, not a consequence of

"one size fits all" sloppiness.  Nonradioactive drugs for thyroid

suppression are commonly used for a short time to deplete the gland of

thyroid hormone so that when NaI-131 destroys the tissue, toxic levels of

thyroid hormone are not released.  And fourth, after 60 years of studying

these patients and finding no evidence of radiation-induced cancer, I think

that it is grossly misleading to suggest that the I-131 "might" cause cancer.

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

csmarcus@ucla.edu