RE: X-Rays at Podiatrist Office

While the risk is low, the practice described is not good health physics and in most states would be contrary to their regulations.  Most states would require operators to stand at least 6 feet away or behind an appropriate shield.  The apron is likely not required by regulation since the primary beam is not in the gonadal region, however some states recommend their use in both podiatry and dentistry.  Shielding is another issue dependent on the particular state regulations.  If the primary beam is directed towards an interior occupied area, I believe most states would require some shielding in that wall.

This machine would be regulated by the state government, if you have concerns I would contact them.  links to various state programs can be found at www.CRCPD.org or at our web site below

Don

Donald E. Parry, CHP

Health Physicist