RE: Missing Exit Signs

When one takes into account the occupation factor, ( How much time any individual is likely to spend in close proximity to the isotopic deposition), and the intent of use (i.e. these signs were meant as self lit EXIT signs...not given to the bomb fodder scenerio)the curie content is reasonable in my view. Take a look at what would happen if you incorporated any number of readily available items into an explosive endeavor.....20 pounds of Coleman Lantern Mantles, 2 litres of mercury, a 55 gallon barrel of nutmeg powder, ... I'm sure everyone can see where this is going. The missing signs are more than likely installed elsewhere....someone's side business, home, garage, dorm room.....who knows. It could have been a case of bad inventory control and a slip of the pen. I really don't think it's anything to be too concerned about.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of John R Johnson

Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 9:34 AM

To: Carol Marcus; jjcohen; Williamson, Matthew/Medical Physics; Radsafe

Subject: RE: Missing Exit Signs

Carol and other Radsafers

That is the ALI for tritiated water. I don't know what the one for luminous

paint is but it should be higher; i.e. even a smaller dose concern.

My concern with this type of "incident" is not dose or risk , but "poor

practise". Organizations should know better!

 _________________

John R Johnson, Ph.D.

*****

President, IDIAS, Inc