News item: Important Hearings on Homeland Security S&T Program

I thought this might be of interest.

---------------

FYI

The American Institute of Physics Bulletin of Science

Policy News

Number 29: March 11, 2004

Important Hearings on Homeland Security S&T Program

Although the Department of Homeland Security's Science

and Technology Directorate is less than a year old, it

is the eighth largest R&D budget in the federal

government.  And while most other R&D agencies have FY

2005 budget requests ranging from cuts to increases of

a few percentage points, the directorate's request is

up 13.9%.  The amount of funding in this year's budget

allocated to basic research is 15.0%, with the

dministration seeking a decrease in the proportionate

share of funding for this research in FY 2005 to 8.4%

of the total budget.

Within the last two weeks, Charles E. McQueary, Under

Secretary for Science and Technology for the

Department of Homeland Security, has testified before

a House authorization committee and the Senate

Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security.  At

both hearings the reception he was given was friendly

and supportive. The common message to McQueary in both

of these hearings was similar: do it now.

The senators and representatives on these committees

are acutely aware of the terrorist threat facing the

United States, as they go to work every day on an

increasingly fortified Capitol Hill.  If there was any

complaint about the directorate's programs, activities

or budgets, it was that not enough is being done

quickly enough to deploy new systems.

Committee members' questions reflected this attitude.

They wanted to know about systems to protect cities

against biological attacks, inter-operational

communication systems for first responders, defeating

shoulder-fired missiles fired at commercial airliners,

protecting industrial facilities such as chemical

plants, port security, border integrity, border

inspections and information sharing.

During the February 25 hearing of the House

Subcommittee on Cybersecurity, Science, and Research &

Development, McQueary was asked about the percentage

of his budget devoted to basic research. He

acknowledged that basic research funding would drop

from the current $117 million to $80 million in FY

2005, from a proportionate share of 15.0% of the

directorate's budget to 8.4%.  He said that "overtime

[this budget] will evolve into more fundamental

research," adding the words "appropriately so."   His

written testimony elaborates on this point:

"In the 11 months that this Department has been in

existence, the Science and Technology Directorate has

focused its initial efforts on near-term development

and deployment of technologies to improve our nation's

ability to detect and respond to potential terrorist

acts.  However, we recognize that a sustained effort

to continually add to our knowledge base and our

resource base is necessary for future developments.

Thus, we have invested a portion of our resources,

including our university programs, toward these

objectives. . . .   Our initial expenditures in basic

research are heavily weighted by our investments in

university programs.  These university programs will

not only provide new information relevant to homeland

security, but will also provide a workforce of people

who are cognizant of the needs of homeland security,

especially in areas of risk analysis, animal-related

agro-terrorism, bioforensics, cybersecurity, disaster

modeling, and psychological and behavioral analysis.

We expect to gradually increase our total percentage

of basic and applied research to the level needed for

sustaining our role as a research, development,

testing and evaluation (RDT&E) organization."

Regarding university and fellowship programs, McQueary

testified that the first University-based Center of

Excellence was established at the University of

Southern California.  Its mission, he stated, is to

"assess the level of risk associated with various

terrorist scenarios, in particular the potential

economic consequences."  Two more centers are to be

established, centering on Foreign Animal and Zoonotic

Disease Defense and Post-Harvest Food Protection and

Defense.  The directorate has also awarded 100

scholarships and Fellowships selected from

approximately 2,500 applicants.  FY 2005 funding has

been requested for 100 additional Scholars and Fellows

Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) asked McQueary why the

administration requested a 50% cut in funding for the

fellowship program.  Byrd noted that the

appropriations committee wants the university

community to play a major role in homeland security

research. McQueary explained that there had been

"considerable internal debate" about this decision,

and that it reached a point,  he said, where "it was

time for me salute and say 'yes sir" . . . and [then]

do the best we can."  Most of the increase that the

administration has requested for next year is for

biological countermeasure systems for cities

identified for being at highest risk.

McQueary will appear before the House Appropriations

Subcommittee on Homeland Security, chaired by Rep.

Harold Rogers (R-KY), on March 30.

###############

Richard M. Jones

Media and Government Relations Division

The American Institute of Physics

fyi@aip.org    http://www.aip.org/gov

(301) 209-3094

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com