Re:

The tasks probably vary from plant to plant.  They include:

temporary shielding design - This includes both determinations of the

amount of shielding needed, and how to place it, including structural

concerns if the shielding is hung from plant components.

work planning - This includes planning worker locations, to take account

of known hot spots and available low dose waiting areas; dose reduction

techniques, such as scheduling a system flush before work starts, or

filling a tank with water to provide shielding; arranging for remote

work, such as setting up a tv system which would enable an operator to

read a gauge without entering a high radiation area; and writing

radiation work permits to assure the proper PPE and controls.

training in ALARA philososphy and practices

evaluating worker suggestions

design reviews - This would include trying to keep pipes which will

carry highly radioactive fluid from running through areas which will be

frequently occupied.  We also try to minimize the use of cobalt bearing

materials, such as stellite, in plant components which connect to the

reactor, since the cobalt leaches out and becomes activated.

procedure reviews - This is to assure that ALARA techniques are an

integral aspect of plant work.

Setting and tracking individual and collective dose goals.

Reviewing completed work for lessons learned and assuring that they are

incorporated into future work.

Feel free to contact me if you want additional information.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com