Sealed sources 'round the world

Hi-

Our company makes SiLi X-ray detectors used on SEMs and other X-Ray

fluorescence analytical systems.   Our service engineers use small,

generally licensed ( 50 uCi) sealed Fe-55 sources for calibration and

general troubleshooting.  Since 9-11,  our guys frequently have problems

at airports,  generally as a result of the inspections performed on their

toolbags ( not as a result of setting off any Rad. detectors).    The

Inspectors  go to 'full point' ( bird-dog reference) at the sign of the

trefoil symbol on the tiny box the source lives in,  resulting in more

than a few expensive travel delays.

Can anyone provide any guidance on how to avoid this problem, in both

domestic ( US) flights and International travel as well?   A letter from

the Company?   A note from the NRC?   We are an NRC license holder for the

stronger sources used in our factory in the US.    I can appreciate the

extra security,  but must we consider a 50 microcurie Fe-55 source to be a

candidate for a WMD project?

        Thanks!!

                Bob Westerdale