Sources around the world

According to the IATA regulations Table 10.4A., the "Activity concentration

for exempt material" is 1E4 Bq/gram and the "Activity limit for an exempt

consignment" is 1E6 Bq for Fe55.  Your source (50 uCi source) is 1.8E6 Bq

so unless your source is > 186 grams your package is considered a

radioactive shipment.

It sounds like your employees are carrying these in there luggage.  To the

best of my knowledge (IATA sec 2.3), radioactive shipments (even limited

quantity) are not permitted in personal baggage.  If this is the case you

may have a larger problem.

Jim Tracy

NIST

email: james.tracy@nist.gov