Bethlehem workers and Western NY State

Subj:   Re: Bethlehem workers and Western NY State

Date:   3/27/04 9:53:03 AM Eastern Standard Time

From:   radwaste@igc.org

To: NiagaraNet@AOL.COM

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Lou:  Could you pass this along?

    We have reviewed the Bethlehem Steel records for some individual workers

at the Lackawanna plant.  There is no question in our mind the dose

reconstruction conducted by NIOSH greatly underestimates the radiation dose these

workers received.  This underestimate is due to the following: 1) missing radiation

pathways and 2) truncated exposure duration.  The missing radiation pathways

are incidental dust ingestion while the mill was operating, and resuspension of

dust, direct gamma and incidental dust ingestion while the rolling mill was

not operating.  NIOSH calculates uptake of uranium and decay products only

while the rolling mill was operating, perhaps assuming that the vacuuming removed

all surface contamination.  That this is not the case can easily be seen by

examining the Simonds Saw Mill which was also vacuumed, but where surface

contamination persisted through 1979 at least.  Incidental dust ingestion is

contamination on hands or face that is taken in the mouth when, for example, a worker

wipes his brow.  Generally the mills were hot so this is a common occurrence.

 Ingestion of uranium would be much more effective in yielding a radiation

dose to the colon and stomach; several of these workers developed colon cancer.

Marvin Resnikoff, RWMA

***

Sent to Niagaranet from M. Resnikoff in response to-