AW: Bethlehem workers and Western NY State

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Steven Dapra

Gesendet: Samstag, 27. März 2004 09:24

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: Bethlehem workers and Western NY State

March 27

	Posted by Louis Ricciuti (at the request of Marvin Resnikoff):  "Ingestion

of uranium would be much more effective in yielding a radiation dose to the

colon and stomach; several of these workers developed colon cancer."

	Is radiation exposure a known risk factor for colon cancer?

--------------------------

Steven,

I wish you "good luck" for receiving an answer by Louis or Marvin....

It is more than well known - except for the anti-DU folks and some others

like Louis or Marvin - that uranium is by far more chemotoxic than it is

radiotoxic. The US drinking water regulations have a maximum concentration

level for uranium, based on mass and not on activity concentration. The mass

concentration of the US level corresponds to a much lower activity, than is

for instance in the European Union allowed for the activity concentration.

The EU has - unfortunately - no mass concentration based limits!

Before somebody would die of any cancer developed by uranium radiation

exposure, he or she would die of kidney failure. Uranium is a very poisonous

heavy metal and it acts like such one in the human body.

I thought better to stay out of the "Bethlehem"-discussion, but reading this

last contribution made me write.

If somebody who worked with uranium would claim, that he developed kidney

problems by the uptake of uranium I would understand it and recommend a

careful investigation. But radiation injuries caused by uranium without any

much more severe chemotoxic problems are simply ridiculous.

Franz