RE: Different colors of dose

Donna,

Well of course the point is that you are supposedly getting some benefit

from

your medical radiation doses in terms of either direct treatment or in

diagnosis

that enables the determination of appropriate treatment.  You take on

the

radiological risk and you get the medical benefits.  Occupational

exposure and

environmental exposure are entirely different animals in that you

receive no

medical benefit (OK Howard, Jerry Cohen, etc no benefit is ASSUMED) but

you

still take on the radiological risk.

Now of course this does not mean that there is carte blanche in

radiation dose

for medical purposes, the guiding principles of justification and

optimization

come into play.  The medical dose should be no more than is required to

adequately provide the treatment or information sought and should

provide

clear advantages over alternatives.

That at least is the theory :-)

Peter Thomas