Re: Low-level Rn exposure and lung cancer

Dr. Long,

I don't understand your post.  What are you talking about?  Is this some type of medical short hand?  Do you mean 4 pCi/L rather than what you wrote?  What is this bizzare reference to Pollycove.

I thought Dr. Cohen's suggestions that radon is good for you has been widely criticized by epidemiologist,the NCRP, and most mainstream scientist.  From people I talk to in the field, most can not understand how alpha exposure to the lung would be protective of cancer in other areas of the body.  Please explain the mechanism.  Obviously, it is well documented that radon casues lung cancer. Wes Van Pelt showed just recently in the HPJ that half of the inverse association could be explained by altitude.  Others have said it is due to poor smoking information.

I think you are doing more harm than good by telling people they should increase their radon exposure. Does anyone know the dose to the bronchial epithelial cells from an average exposure of 4 pCi/L and what effective dose that translates to?

--------------------------------------

Dr Long" <hflong@pacbell.net> wrote:

Is dose rate range for administration of LDR partly defined by this?

I hope HPs with added certification will soon be administering it.

Could the more easily given (in medical office), quicker LDR actually be

better with radon than longer exposure, as for gamma, favored by Luan from

Taipei experience?

The U or J shaped curve in B Cohen's lung cancer mortality in counties vs

their average home radon levels, explains why in Iowa (highest radon, !%

outlier), cases of lung cancer have higher home radon  than controls (at

>0.4 piCi/l), while on the other, left, side of the U, less than USA av of

c 1.3,  the lung cancer mortality is higher in counties with less radon.

Are biologic defenses stimulated best by a medium dose rate, as well as a

medium total dose (from 1.0 to 4.0 pCi/l) ? See Pollycove's presntations.

Howard Long