Re: Fe-60, can it occur in NPReactors?

Hello Sandor,

>pls help if you can re this exotic nuclide: Fe-60. Does it occur

>in Nuclear Power Reactor waste, or core (fuel rod deposition)?

>How can it appear? In the sixth edition (1967) of Lederer-Hollander-Perlman's

>Table of Isotopes there is hardly any information. Because of its

>59 keV (Co-60m) gamma decay could be easily identified as Am-241

>by the gamma spectrometer software, causing discrepancy with the

>alpha counts of the same smear sample population.

I wouldn't expect it to be in any kind of "normal" radioactive waste resulting from a NPP.

I've asked the OECD/NEA provided JANIS package (highly recommended

and free); it tells as generation way "From proton-induced spallation of copper

at EP=400 MeV."; this a very uncommon reaction in NPPs.

It also tells a fission yield (probability to get it as result of a fission) of lower than 1E-11.

The only way to produce it by decay would be from Mn-60, which is very uncommon either.

I think it would be a wonder if you find it anywhere besides of some exotic research sites.

Best regards

	Frank

P.S.: For JANIS, please surf to http://www.nea.fr and look out for it. They even distribute the databases on CD for free under certain circumstances.