Fe60 calc

Forgive me I'm doing this on the fly so I don't know the result I'll get.

I'll be doing a lot of handwaving (guesstimating) since I don't have all of

the necessary data.There are two mechanisms that I see for producing it.

Multiple neutron capture on Fe58 and fission.

It is certainly produced at some level, albeit tiny. It comes from neutron

capture in radioactive Fe59 which is from neutron capture on Fe58. I don't

have a good reference handy that lists saturation activity for Fe59 in a

reactor. If you can find the Fe59 activity you can calculated the number of

atoms of target material you have(not very many. About 2e17 atoms/Ci of Fe59

or 20ug/Ci)) and compare that to the number target atoms of Fe58 you have (a

whole bunch comparatively about 3e22 atoms of Fe58/Ci of Fe59 assuming a

flux of 1e12n/cm^2/sec). Higher fluxes improves the ratio.  Estimate a

capture cross section (for the heck of it let's assume the Fe59 cross

section is the same as that for Fe58).

This assumed, the saturation activity would be the ratio of target atoms

Fe59/Fe58 or about 6 uCi Fe60/Ci of Fe59.  Now pick a number of years for

the ingrowth in you component.  This isn't fuel so it is probably more than

three years.  Let's say 10 years for a saturation factor of 7e-5 giving a

ratio of Fe60/Fe59 of 4.4E-10.

Somewhere out around 150 years or so you might start to see a tail in the

Co60 decay depending on the Fe58/Co59 ratio in your stainless.

You might have a better chance of seeing it directly from fission though I

doubt it. At A = 72 the fission yield is 0.000027% and is dropping about a

factor of 3 per unit mass.  3^12 is about 500,000 so maybe 2E-13

atoms/fission.  A kilogram of U235 fission is a GW day so 3 years of running

is about a metric ton of fissions =1e6/235*6e23 = 2.6e27 fissions.  2.6e27 *

2e-13/fission = 5e14 atoms of Fe60 or about 100 Bq or so.

If you're seeing any there is some exotic mechanism that I'm missing.

Hope this helps

Dale

daleboyce@charter.net