RE: Can Somebody Explain this to me . . . .

A question in this general area ...

Ruth said:

"2.  It is, however, important to find the cause of an illness, because ..."

And I heartily agree.

I think we've all heard the "don't drink the water" admonition relating to

foreign travel, and there's a good basis in fact for it.  Local water

supplies contain local bacteria, and depending on how vigorously the

chemistry of the water supply is controlled, local residents consume that

bacteria regularly.  The locals will adjust to it - natural selection

probably applies here - everyone whose body cannot adjust either moves or

stops drinking the water.

It seems to me that there is no reason why the same wouldn't apply to

airborne bacteria, and probably minerals in the local dust.  When US troops

travel to a location foreign to their own environment, they will inhale

bacteria and dust that include stuff not encountered at home, and presumably

some type of reaction should be expected.  If this is true, I think that the

military should expect some unexplained illnesses with every new campaign.

Agree? Disagree?

Bob Flood

Nevada Test Site